KENTON GRUA MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - Introduction
Thanks to river guide Johnny Janssen - who came up with the idea - and the generosity of some outfitters, guides and guests, The Whale Foundation offers to Grand Canyon river guides the Kenton Grua Memorial Scholarship. If you are looking to further your education, are financially challenged in meeting your goals, and have been a Grand Canyon river guide for at least 5 years (5 trips/year piloting your own boat or in a paid guide/swamper position), you are eligible to apply for these funds. Contact us and request your application or download the application here. Be sure to read the Instructions below; we require more than just the application.
If you want to support the Scholarship Fund your donations are not only greatly appreciated, they will help to create a tradition we can all be proud of. For more information call our business line at 928-774-9440 or send us an email.
The Whale Foundation Kenton Grua Memorial Scholarship
- What? - The Kenton Grua Memorial Scholarship. This scholarship is for Grand Canyon river guides who are following their educational goals. It is inspired by the memory of Kenton and his lifelong pursuit of knowledge, learning, innovation and teaching. (Award amount and number of scholarships to be determined).
- Why? - Established in 2002 by the Whale Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)3 organization to benefit Grand Canyon guides pursuing post-secondary education, degree or non-degree seeking at an accredited educational institution.
- Eligibility? - Available to Grand Canyon river guides with 5 years experience( with at least 5 trips/year either piloting your own boat or in a paid guide/swamper position) who also demonstrate financial need and an educational goal.
- How? - Download the application by clicking those words at the end of the first paragraph above, or email us or write to The Whale Foundation, Inc. at PO Box 855, Flagstaff, AZ 86002-0855 to request an application.
- Deadline: All materials must in the Whale Foundation’s office by June 1st.
- Scholarship recipients are eligible to receive three awards only.
An application packet must contain the following items or it will be declined:
- The completed Whale Foundation scholarship application form.
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from your Grand Canyon outfitter and the second from a person with whom you have a professional relationship. We suggest that the outfitter letter address 1) your interaction with other guides (particularly your mentoring and leadership qualities); 2) your interaction with passengers (particularly your empathy, teaching); 3) your ability to provide a positive down-river experience for your guests) and 4) verify your 5-year employment history. For the second letter, please ask a faculty advisor, work supervisor or another person of authority who can also write an objective evaluation.
- Proof of enrollment at an educational institution in the form of a tuition receipt, class schedule or letter from your Dean or program director.
- Copy of all of your college transcripts
- Copy of previous year's tax returns for you and your spouse/ partner/significant other.
- Any other scholarships anticipated or applied for.
- A personal letter (one to two pages) explaining the program you are entering, your reasons for returning to school, your long-term career goals, your involvement with the boating community - especially any volunteer work as it pertains to Grand Canyon (i.e. volunteered for GCRG, Whale Foundation, Grand Canyon Youth, NPS trail crew, tamarisk removal) and your love of the canyon and its resources. Your goal is to paint us a picture of your involvement with the Grand Canyon and the guiding community.
- Number of years as a Grand Canyon guide. 5 years minimum with 5 trips/year piloting your own boat or as a paid guide/swamper. Other rivers don't count.